Thursday 19 November 2015

Growing old - disgracefully

Call me a weirdo, but ever since I was a little girl I've often wondered about what type of old lady I would be... like I said, call me a weirdo!

I remember seeing Margaret Rutherford in Blithe Spirit and thinking she was probably the coolest old lady I'd ever seen - all tweed skirts and bead necklaces swinging about: brilliant! I quite liked the idea of being one of those 'stuff and nonsense' type of old ladies - the kind that can say anything and unconsciously intimidate everyone they meet.

Then, of course, there's the elegant Audrey Hepburn type - impeccably dressed, silk stockings, hair in a chignon.... I think to be this kind of old lady you have to be that kind of young lady, and I've never ever been able to pull off the groomed look so I think this is going to be unachievable.

Mad cat lady with lots of carrier bags, wearing pop socks and a pack-a-mac? Well, that's probably an easier look! Plus you get to stop and stare at people (it's only old ladies and toddlers that can get away with this), and that's quite a fun idea....

And then there's the hair - my daughter is convinced that old ladies have white fluffy curly hair so that they look like clouds, ready for when they float up to heaven (morbid child). Perhaps I will have a purple rinse? Or dye it jet black. Who knows...

Whatever I end up being, I sincerely hope I'll be a cool old lady. In the meantime, there's a fetching tweed cape they're selling in LaRedoute - maybe I should start collecting my old lady costume in readiness!

Sarah ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts